Thursday, March 28, 2013

Day 4: Hike the Vermillion-Path of Fushimi-Inari & play with the Deers at Nara!

Early morning, there were already a drizzle as I stepped out of my ryokan. Obachan sweetly asked me if I've brought an umbrella? My host really gave me a warm feeling of a home away from home ^o^
 
 photo IMG_6842-Ed.jpg

Before enter the temple, wash your hands with a scope of water photo IMG_6847-Ed.jpg

I boarded the subway to Kyoto Station & headed to Inari Station. I'm excited as after the Bamboo Grove, this is another reason I wish to visit Kyoto! Before coming here, I had already seen many nice photos of this famous shrine ~ Fushimi-Inari Taisha which is made famous by its thousands of red/vermillion torii lining 4km up the mountain. Furthermore, Memoirs of the Geishas was also filmed here (I didn't watch it). Anyway, this gotta be the most convenient Must See place as it is just outside the JR Station!
 
Make a wish... photo IMG_6856-Ed.jpg

 photo IMG_6879-SpiltRoads.jpg

I was at the main gate for some time waiting for my turn to shoot under the drizzling skies. Oh, this is also one of the rare shrines that doesn't charge an admission. I was prepared for a long walk ahead & took on a slow leisure pace with my heavy camera bag. At one of the intersection, there were two paths one could choose & it was also jam with many tourists vying to take a memento shot here. Needless to say, I was again stuck here for quite awhile!
 
 photo IMG_6891-RawEd.jpg
 
 
 photo IMG_6894-RawEd.jpg

Indeed the striking vermillion pillars really stood out on photos as no matter what angle I took, it just looks good, haha! The brushed inscriptions on the pillars were actually the corporate sponsors of the shrine. As I hiked further up the path, the pillars were not so well-maintained & I started to feel bored... Then, I noticed an Obachan with a small backpack walking faster than me! Ah~ the fitness level of the elderly Japanese is really impressive as I often see very fit grey hair folks going on hikes.
 
Red bean fish pancake photo IMG_6940-FishRedBeanPancake.jpg

As I reached the mid-point of the hike, I decided not to pursue further as it would take some time to get back down to the foot of the mountain. I met a group of HK tourists who were also deciding which downward route to take & I decided to follow behind them. I ended walking the back mountain route hoping to get a different view. Indeed, it led me to the residential area & back to the entrance. As I exit the temple, I chanced upon an uncle selling Taiyaki (carp shaped red bean pancake) & couldn't resist to buy one. This turned out to be my lunch!
 
After I departed from Inari shrine, I boarded the JR to Nara, which is another city an hour away. The skies started pouring again when I was on the train & I took a nap. When I woke up, I realised this guy sitting opposite me who slept till his whole body was almost horizontal! Finally my seemingly long journey got me to Nara station, which seems rather quiet compared to the forever bustling Kyoto.
 
Freshly made macha mochi photo DSCF1243-GreenTeaMochi.jpg

While I was looking at the station's direction guide, I noticed the same guy on my train was also checking the map. We ended chatting with each other & since we were heading to the same place, we became companion for the rest of the day. Frak turned out to be a backpacker as well & he arrived at Kyoto & Nara unprepared, as he didn't expect this to be the peak season. As I had done some research on Nara, I shared with him where we should go. Together, we walked past a mochi shop which the bakers did a 'dance' while pounding their mochi flour & each of us bought 1 macha mochi to try! Oishii! 
 
look at the cam, pls... photo IMG_6951-Naradeerme1.jpg

 photo IMG_6952-NaradeerMe2.jpg

 photo IMG_6966-Ed.jpg

We went on to Nara Park & I love to play with the kawaii deers, which I found rather safe as their horns were removed. I had a fun time trying to photograph with them & of course with Frak's help to shoot for me! Walking thru the Nara Park, led us to Todaiji Temple which housed the Giant Buddha. After a tour of the temple, we strolled one round of the park, which was really beautiful with the blooming sakura. I wish time will stop at this point as it is really panoramic! A herd of deer were also grazing at the grassland & we had some fun time taking self shots here!

  photo IMG_7009-TodaijiTemple.jpg

 photo DSCF1253-FrakMe2.jpg

Satisfy my unagi craving! photo IMG_7065-UnagiDon.jpg
 
We ended our half day Nara trip with a nice Japanese dinner at a cosy restaurant near the station. I was glad that I finally found a reasonable price Unagi meal! It's only 900 Yen as compared to the more pricey ones I saw in Kyoto! Frak had a sashimi set & we swapped info as both of us had a reverse itinerary. The most interesting thing we discovered was both of us had crossed path this morning at Inari Shrine! I had seen Frak in his striking red Japanese Happi walking up the shrine. It's funny how fate sometimes bring two strangers together isn't it? By the time, we found our way back to Nara Station, it was pretty late & another 1hr long journey back to Kyoto Station before we bided goodbye!
 
Headed back to Ryokan rather late & I think everyone else were in bed by then! It's also time to pack my luggage again to move to my next destination tomorrow.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Reader's Choice