Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Day 3: Kyoto ~ Kinkakuji & Arashiyama

Today's itinerary will be to travel further off the city centre to the western part of Kyoto, first stop will be at Kinkakuji (also known as The Golden Pavilion 金閣寺). I boarded a direct bus near my ryokan direct to Kinkakuji. In Kyoto, there is a Golden Pavilion and a Silver Pavilion & I picked this as I thought that it looks more majestic.

Kyoto - Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion) photo IMG_6718-Ed.jpg

 photo IMG_6731-Ed.jpg

The weather today is cloudy and hence it's a pity there's no nice blue skies to contrast with the otherwise shiny roof of the pavilion, which casts a nice reflection in the pond. This is a Zen Buddhist temple and store relics of the Buddha. Previously, was also owned by Yoshimitsu, the 3rd shogun of the Muromachi period & later converted into a temple after his death.

After touring Kinkakuji and keeping its 'talisman' like admission ticket as souvenir, I went across the road to board Bus No. 59 to Arashiyama.  There is a need to switch to another bus service 11 (at Yamagoe Nakacho stop) in order to get to Arashiyama. Note: Need to prepare exact fares as bus passes can't be used for this zone. The journey was not that long vs the waiting time as there is a bus schedule in Kyoto for all the bus services, visitors can tally it at each bus-stop.

Arashiyama is a Must Visit place if you have limited time in Kyoto as it offers visitors a different insight of Kyoto's lush landscape. It was really convenient for me as once I alighted from the bus, Tenryuji Temple (a UNESCO site) is right across the bus-stop. I enjoyed strolling in the nicely landscape garden, which you hardly feel that you are in a temple's grounds. There were quite a variety of flora to photograph depending on the season you visit. Here's some of the pics that I like:
 
Nicely landscaped gardens photo IMG_6747-Ed.jpg

Bud photo IMG_6764-Budding.jpg


One of my fav shots... photo IMG_6765-RawEd.jpg

Exit from the north gate of Tenryuji and I walked thru' the famous Bamboo Grove. This is a place I dream of visiting! There is a kind of serenity feel here & I am amaze at how tall the bamboo shoots grow that it is almost impossible to see their top! I bet pandas will love this place, haha!

Land of the Bamboo! photo IMG_6774-RawEd.jpg
 
Pandas will love this! photo IMG_6776-RawEd.jpg


Sagano Scenic Railway... 25mins ride around Arashiyama photo IMG_6784-Ed.jpg
 photo IMG_6800-BeaversFamily.jpg Walking thru' the Bamboo Grove, which is just a short pathway, there are two directions you can take. I randomly chose to turn right & was surprised that it led me to the Sagano Romantic Train station! Well, since I'm already here I decided to just pay the 600 yen (1-way) for a 20 mins ride. It's pretty exciting as the train is open on both sides with no windows & you can feel the cold gushing air kissing you as the train speed up. The train allows you a bird-eye's view of the Hozu River Rapids as well, as the tourists on their boat ride wave at us! At the end of the ride, I found that I had to take a 10 min walk to the nearest Umahori JR Station to return to Saga-Arashiyama. I'm glad that I've the JR Rail Pass!

Wow! How i wish have some nice blue skies! photo IMG_6814-TogetsukyoBridge.jpg

Girl in kimono sitting at riverbank photo IMG_6819-JapaneseGalinKimonoatRiverbank.jpg

 photo IMG_6820-ice-creamcollage.jpg

 By the time I got back to Saga-Arashiyama, it's about lunch time & I settled for a Inari & California Maki sushi set from Lawson. I found it really worth for abt Sg 5 to have a satisfying lunch sitting at a bench. After my rest, I proceeded down the street to locate Togetsukyo Bridge. Alas, just as I reach the skies broke into a drizzle & it's quite a spoiler... Cos the sight of the low gushing water is really beautiful & I could imagine some blue & white clouds will make a nice painting. Finished touring the area & I remembered I gotta find the Yuba (soya milk skin) soft ice cream & I was glad to savour it! Omg! It's really one of the best & silkiest ice cream I ever have!
Nishiki Market photo IMG_6833_NishikiMarket.jpg
 
It's late afternoon by now & I figured that I still have sufficient time to head back to town & make a trip to Nishiki Market. I boarded the train to Shijo and had some trouble locating Nishiki Market. I met an Ang Mo guy who was distributing English lang centre's flyers & asked him in English for directions. Ahha, so the market was tucked away into one of the lanes near Daimaru. The Market was an eye-opener and I like how neat Japanese markets are & usually is just one long street with food & vegetables stalls on both sides. There are lots of snacks and fresh seafood for sale too!

By the end of my exploration, I was dead-beat! I felt that my legs couldn't get me anywhere anymore! As I couldn't decide on what to eat for dinner, I packed a pork katsu bento from the supermarket back to my lodging. Decided shall rest early & to treat my feet full of wounds!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Reader's Choice