July is an exciting month for my photography jaunts! Remember at the beginning of the month, I was involved in the opening of the SHINE Youth Festival and did some cosplay shoots. Now, the month-long SHINE Youth Festival had come to a close.
Held in conjunction with SHINE Youth Festival & organised solely by youths, Marcellie Runway 2012: Emerge! is a charity & fashion event for young designers to showcase their works. As one of the group of volunteer photographers from DSLR Meetup, I arrived at *Scape Warehouse pretty early at 6.15pm. This was my first time doing fashion photography & not too sure if my skills were up to it! I decided to use my zoom lens Canon 55 - 250mm instead of the nifty-fifty, such that I had more flexibility in the shooting range.
Upon registration, I was issued a photographer badge & was briefed that we had to keep within a restricted zone to shoot. I was assigned two photo-stations, 1st half at the end of Runway & the 2nd half at Stage Front. Leonard lent me his flash & just as we were testing our flash-guns, we were told that the rules had change! No flash photography! Haiz, i still thought that I could learn how to use the external flash tonight. All of us had to work within the restrictions & used high ISO. No choice, I used the max of ISO 1600 & tried to keep my aperture at around F4.5.
The fashion show commenced at 7.30pm and hosted by a handsome guy ~ Oli Pettigrew. His co-host is his wifey ~ Linda Black. I got a good spot within our restricted zone and after some test shots at the beginning, I managed to get the settings. There's not much time to think as I could just snap 1 to 2 shots of each outfit. The models paused briefly like half a second at the runway! Suddenly, my camera flashed an error! Geez! What an untimely thing to happen & it was really my FIRST time. I quickly changed to my spare SD card & continued shooting. An attempt to recover my data was impossible & lost my pre-event & first 30 mins shots! :(
After the 20 mins intermission, I was stationed at the Stage Front. This post was even trickier as I could not shoot standing proper in order not to block the audience. The models zoom past & basically my failure rate was really HIGH! How i wish I have a wide aperture lens like F2.8! However, it would be still tough to achieve a fast shutter lah! I juz tried to do some creative shots since the angle here is different.
The event ended at 9.30pm but still had to Q up to transfer our raw files to the organiser ~ Zurina Bryant. It's a long wait & only left at 10.30pm for supper at KFC wif a few guys. It's super tiring but nonetheless it was a good experience. Here's some of my specially selected shots to share...
| Cool B&W! |
| Oli Pettigrew & Linda Black |
| Cool Lightings! |
| Blur with Style! |

No comments:
Post a Comment