I had marked my calendar for the annual Night Festival. I was looking forward to this year's as I had captured some nice shots previous two years. As frens indicated that they were keen to join me this round, I created a FB event for the first time, with a well-planned itinerary... but alas, it's a waste of my efforts as they did not even bother to read the details & asked me stuff which I had indicated clearly! Anyway, I had tot that in the event that people were late, I will proceed by myself!
The festival runs for two consecutive weekends & I did my 1st round on the 25th Aug. Ruby & i met up early at Kopitiam for dinner, while CK was late for a gd 1hr! She came with 2 other frens. We started out at Singapore Arts Museum & toured the 2nd level galleries... After 45mins, i realised there's nothing much to shoot inside but CK & her frens were still stuck in one of the galleries! Hence, i had no choice but to break off from them & proceeded wif Ruby. We moved on to SAM's ground floor & facade to shoot the light displays beamed on the main building.
Next, we strolled over to SAM at 8Q & I saw a big group of photography buffs shooting. For the first time, I had to setup my tripod at the pavement to capture the [Night Watch] display. 30 giant pairs of quirkly animal eyes peer out from the corridors of SAM at 8Q, modelled after the eyes of birds, fishes & reptiles. We also had fun doing self-shot but exposure was quite hard to grasp!
| Cute motifs & quotes on cardboard boxes |
I always find SAM at 8Q is more interesting as their artwork are usually kids-focus, hence easier to understand & appreciate! I much prefer the lively ambience here! As it was a saturday, the place was extremely crowded! We spent quite a long time exploring the various themes here & missed the National Museum's circus show...
At 10pm, after 3hours of continuous walking & shooting, we were tired & chilled out at Coffee Bean... while Leonard popped by for a chat with us. Thereafter, I continued to shoot across the road, to capture the reflections of SAM lit-up facade. We ended the night at 11.30pm!
PART II:
I felt that my shoot was incomplete & decided to return the following friday...Thankfully, my terrible flu recovered by then! I was clear that I only wanted to cover 3 areas for tonight & my parents decided to tag along!
We were caught in an unexpected traffic jam & instead of a direct bus ride, we had to change to the MRT & walked to Armenian Street! The La Argentina show outside the Peranakan Museum was supposed to commence at 8.30pm....we ended up waited for 40mins before it start at 9pm! I had setup my tripod, however once the crane ferrying the dancer suspended in mid-air moved into the crowd spilling on the narrow lane, there was no way for me to put a tripod! It was almost impossible for me to capture the shots clearly too! The dancer was spinning 360 degrees at one point! Luckily, I got dad to use the Fuji cam to capture some video! As the dancer performed, confetti rained onto the audience, nothing exciting :(
After the 15mins show, we moved to the National Museum & again shot some lighting designs splashed on the museum's facade. This was not so nice. We popped into the musuem to take a look at the 3-D artwork [Scaling the Dome], created by street artist, Joe Hill. It's nice but there's a long Q waiting for a shot with the artwork! I simply steal a shot from the side.
Lastly, we trooped over to the School of the Arts to view [Children's Dreams], where fairytales characters lit up with the synchronised music, created by french artist. It's cute :) Juz these 2hours plus was enough to warrant a supper stop at MacDonald's, haha! Overall, this year's Night Festival was not up to my expectations.

No comments:
Post a Comment