Saturday, July 10, 2010

Project Helix: Experimenting Nite Shots @ Helix Bridge

Having done the day shots @ Helix Bridge last weekend, i decided to experiment wif the nite shots today.  Met up wif Ruby at Marina Square & i decided to queue for Kenny Roger while waiting for her... oh boy, had to wait for quite some time & I was already feeling hungry.  Finally, we managed to get a table & ordered the quarter chicken sets... It had been close to 2 yrs since we ate this! How i love the cheese macaroni & coleslaw... ruby was stunned by the huge portion, hoho! It's crucial i filled my tummy substantially cos i need lotsa energy for my photography jaunt, keke!  After i whacked finished my food, i told ruby.... ''eh, i dun feel full yet''  Ruby gasped, haha!  (left: a light bulb at our dining table bundled among bottles of sauce)

We started our digestive stroll towards Helix Bridge & while strolling over, loud bangs of fireworks & colourful sparks in the air filled the skies intermittently.... Juz as we quicken our pace to the YOG Park (at the beginning of Helix), the full blast of fireworks from the National Day Preview filled the skies... i told ruby, ''quick! take out cam to shoot lah!'' Hence, i tried to capture the fireworks free-hand, since not enuf time to set up my tripod. Not too satisfied wif the results, but one of my wonky shots gave an 'electrifying feel' of the fireworks thou!

When the fireworks finale ended at about 8.20pm, we had some warm up shots at the YOG (Youth Olympics Games) Park.  When night falls, both kids & adults enjoyed playing at the neon-lit hexagon grids at the park. Then, i suggested that we proceed to the area below Helix as i saw on Flickr some nice views from there.  However, i was utterly dismayed that the LED lights on the Helix tonite was a red/orangy colour, instead of the purple/blue colour i had envisioned! Ruby & I lamented that the colours contrast juz dun looks good on our LCD. We waited veri long but the same colour LED remained thru'out the nite :(


                             Aptly labelled my pics as 'Spilt' & 'Closer' respectively ~ my fav for the nite!

I was feeling rather discouraged as I couldn't get the angles I wanted.... juz as I strolled down the stretch, I finally discovered a spot I like! That's to frame the Marina Bay Sands in between the vehicular highway & the pedestrian's Helix Bridge! I experimented different variations of the angles here... At one point, i even plonked my tripod onto this tall wall to see if could capture any interesting angle.  Wif all these tripod-ing acts, I was droused in sweat again!

When I checked my watch, we had unwittingly spent over an hour at the same area! So we moved to the other side & a group of tourists asked me to snap for them. Din expect the group lingered at that area for quite some time, hence we had to wait for them to walk off before we could take the wide angle shots. At one point, my cam's autofocus refused to cooperate &  no matter how I tried, I couldn't snap the angle I wan... But Ruby's cam could! **Hair-pulling** Felt really drained by now & gosh! We had spent close to 2 hours liao, yet we had not even proceed to walk across Helix! Poor time management... tsk tsk!

                                                 Tough cookie to stablise free-hand
As expected, the bridge was flooded wif many visitors & i got ruby to pose for pics... By the time we completed the span of the bridge... i had a hilarious conversation wif ruby. I asked Ruby, '' hey, i think my vision is blur, i'm like seeing stars leh!'', Ruby replied, '' seems like me too''.... I added, '' it's as if i'm drunk.... i can't even see clearly now!!!'' wahaha! Both of us strained our eyes too much on the viewfinder for the past 2hrs plus & starring at the Helix' lights for too long really would see STARS leh! LoL


By the time we popped into The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, the boat service had stopped & the supposedly lit-up pool in the centre area was switched off... Hence, I led Ruby to the terrace area... when I saw the huge outdoors soccer screens, i tot the area was inaccessible. Luckily, we could still get to the terrace area for some shots of the area spanning Collyer Quay to Fullerton Hotel. We were dead-beat tired & exhausted as we made our way to catch a bus to the station. Best part was wif the limited energy left, I ran for my last train! Phew, managed to make it in the nick of time for the journey home!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Reader's Choice