Thursday, April 19, 2012

Food Hunt @ Old Airport Rd Hawker Centre

Today decided to venture to Old Airport Road Hawker Centre for lunch wif dad & mom after reading some food reviews! Most importantly, after trying the Lao Ban Touhua at Elene's place few weeks back, I have been wanting to visit its main outlet here!

The skies were loomed in dark grey when we set off ... we boarded a bus & trf to bus service 33 at Central. It's a long wait.... It's also a sleepy journey as I napped & woke up but still not yet arrive! Probably half an hour later, Dad announced we had reached! Now, i better jot down, once the bus past Mountbatten MRT, gotta alight at next stop!

Wow! It's peak lunch hour at 12.30pm... I could see queues at some of the popular stalls. Without hesistation, I got dad to join the Q at 'Lao Fu Zi' (老夫子) Char Kway Teow stall. Wat a name, haha! I remember reading the 老夫子 comics at the hairdresser in my younger days! I guess the younger gen now will not recognise this famous cartoon character lah! Anyway, I guess that juz the fried kway teow alone will not fill our tummies... so Mom & I went in search of a nearby table first. Mom saw that the porridge looked yummy & she supposedly wanted to order the 皮蛋瘦肉粥 but end up ordering the fish congee! Haiz... I totally dislike fish congee, so i did not sample it. But according to dad, it's good! It comes wif a whole stick of dough fritter (油條) thou!

I went in search of wanton mee but seems that a number of stalls open only for evening biz! I ended up buying the wanton mee & dumplings noodles from a stall next to Lao Ban Touhua! For $3 a plate, it's rather big serving! But i find the noodles too dry, would be tastier if have some gravy! After a long waiting time, the 老夫子炒粿條 arrived! The portion looked pathetic & I was shocked that dad said he ordered the $4 instead of $3, else even lesser! A taste of it felt short-changed... there's not much of ingredients in the plate of Char Kway Teow... I would expect more fish-cake & lap cheong! It's definately over-rated.  Dad said the stall opposite this sells more tasty Char Kway Teow... but too bad it's not open today. Next time, i shall try that!

After finishing the big plate of wanton mee and 1/3 of Char Kway Teow, I'm very full! However, I still reserved room for desserts in my tummy, haha! Hence, I went to Lao Ban Touhua (老伴豆花) & saw there's a short Q now! Earlier, there were no Q when I was buying the wanton mee.  Luckily, the Q moved fast & juz needed to wait 5 mins for my turn. I ordered 2 almond flavour & 2 originals touhua. We ate the almond flavours there & tabao the rest home! I like its almond one as the almond taste is not over-whelming & the touhua is silky smooth... no wonder its biz is so gd! I saw that many lunch-goers not only eat there but tabao by the dozens! It's not exactly cheap thou, $2 for the almond one, while the original cost $1.50. Nowadays, it's really the touhua craze in Sg as i noticed touhua stalls (wif more trendy image) sprouting out in different hawker centres. Well, even selling a simple dessert like touhua needs packaging & marketing!

By now, it's raining cats & dogs! Despite eating slowly, we had no idea when the storm would stop! As such, we went upstairs to 'see see look look'... juz a few stalls selling stuff ranging from towels to shoes etc. I spotted a pair of walking shoes for mom & she end up buying it, haha! Next, we went to NTUC supermarket. It's already 2+pm & the rain still showed no signs of stopping... No choice, we returned to the hawker centre for Round 2! We shared a plate of Rojak! keke! I realised this hawker centre is really huge as it's quite a distance from one end to the other end! 

Finally at 3+pm, the storm reduced to a drizzle... then, we managed to get to the bus-stop to go home! I'm still not very satisfied wif the food hunt & definately will return another day to try other food!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Reader's Choice