Thursday, October 28, 2010

HK Day 5: Foodie's Day!

After using so much energy the past few days, today shall be foodie's day! I'm back to urbanisation & as long as i'm in the city, there's no worry of good food around! Started my morning wif a muz-have here... French Toast & a glass of warm honey lemon. 真係好有滿足感哦! I love to put the sweet maple syrup on the french toast, which had a melting slice of butter on top....inside was filled wif peanut butter! First time ordering the warm honey lemon...somehow the honey used in 茶餐廳 is diff from wat we could get at home! I had been relying on this for my dosage of vitamin C. haha! 

Wif a gd breakfast & gd mood, I headed to Central again! Remember my photography theme? I'm gg to hunt for this unusual Starbucks outlet in Central...Not a fan of Starbucks for sure, but i'm attracted to its interior design from a media report some time back. I was almost there but ended up still walked a de-tour route before spotting it! Cos it's at a not-so-obvious corner! Upon stepping into tis Starbucks, I was lucky to get a seat right inside, that's where it had this 冰室角落.  Coming here need to pick the rite time to avoid the CBD crowd.  Being located in the 'arts district', this outlet was chosen to collaborate wif G.O.D (Goods of Desire), a HK brand to re-create the old HK cafe. A fusion of East meets West coffee culture in support of the arts community, i really enjoy my photoshoot here, snapping almost every single details. Kudos to G.O.D for such an awesome idea! While sipping my ice-choc, i noticed 2 gals trying to take pics & i immediately knew they r s'poreans! Offered to help them take pics & briefly chat wif them too.



After leaving Starbucks, I rmbr G told me that there r 煤氣登 outside to take pics & TVB also filmed here...  Never expect coming to Starbucks would discover another GEM! haha! So retro & fits my theme perfectly! Built bet 1875 & 1889, the Duddell granite steps & the 4 Gas Lamps by its sides r declared national monuments by the Gov... Only after WWII, the gas lamps gave way to electric lamps. Next time, shld i spot these lamps in TVB serials, I would know where liao, keke!

No specific destination at this juncture & i randomly walked the roads & took pics of old architecture ~ saw a church & the old HK Police Post. I like how HK preserved their historical buildings alongside modern buildings. Wif rapid urbanisation & a growing population of 8million, this trip is timely as I'm afraid that the nice old stuff would be gone soon... Without that, it's like a missing piece of jigsaw puzzle. Along e way, I found a G.O.D shop & saw 泰昌餅家, the half a decade old bakery made famous after Chris Patten, the former HK Governor ate its egg tarts. I had sampled its egg tarts last time when cousin Olive brought me here. It doesn't suit my palates cos the egg tarts here r the cookie crust kind, rather than the puffy type. Hence, this round i decided to try its 2nd best-seller ~ the sugar puffs. Read somewhere that this bakery's original specialty was its sugar puff....wow! it's extremely sweet but the dough was quite unique, wif some crispyness. Definately not for the calories-conscious folks ;-)

Moving on, I walked till 上環 area & visited the 文武廟...nothing much. At the side's alley, noticed tis long stretch of stairs & the street name was so apt ~ Ladders Street! haha! Indeed a characteristic of HK.... it's so tiring climbing stairs everywhere, esp the unavoidable MTR exit leading home! Walked to Sheung Wan MTR & decided to go to Tin Hau (天后). Gathered fr the HKTB's web, there's a beef noodles shop there & tis marked my 1st time venturing 天后 area. Upon exiting the station, i sighted the 華姐清湯腩 situated at Electric Rd. Ordered their 清湯牛肉河 ~ the broth was veri sweet & this version of beef hor fun was diff from the beef noodles i had at Causeway Bay. As it's 清湯 style, seems healthier without the oil.


After filling my tummy, i decided to walk down the street to see if have any other interesting stuff... hey, i like here manz... seems like have quite a variety of restaurants & eateries lining the whole stretch! Spotted a shop selling traditional cakes & pondered if i shld try the 砵仔糕 (pudding cake) which i nv try before hk's version! But i'm suppose to look for a dessert shop 1st. Oh boy, so many temptations! Ah, spotted the 晶晶甜品 & I'm the only customer in this little shop. Ordered the 黑芝麻豆花 (black sesame wif jelly beancurd)...while savouring my dessert, i noticed the B&W pics hanging on the wall...veri artistic wo! Various street shots of HK, even hv my doraemon leh! Wif the huge bowl of dessert, i'm super full liao! no more space for my 砵仔糕 :(

Decided to head home for a rest before going TST to mit Olive. After re-charging myself, I strolled to across my place.... 女人街 & wandered around the MK area as it's still early. By 7.20pm, i reached TST & waited for sis outside the kowloon park exit. Geez, it's damm freezing tonite! By 7.45pm, there's still no sight of sis & upon ringing her, then she realised the time! Poor me stood in the cold for 1 hr before sis appear! We walked to Canton Rd's 糖朝 ~ my fav restaurant for dinner. We had 點心 &  糖朝炒飯。。。so shiok! Then, Olive saw the server holding a dessert wif dry ice & enquired wat's that? haha! She had never tried it & found it a novelty, while I would surely order a a cold Mango dessert here wif the dry-ice effects too! Supposedly i wanted to chk out Hardrock Cafe nearby but when we walked past the area, we couldn't find it! Later, we realised that Hardrock had relocated to The Peak! Boo! Cos this round i decided to skip The Peak since weather was bad. Time to head home as it's getting late & cold too!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Reader's Choice