My much awaited trip to Japan is finally happening! I only had a 3 hours nap before took a cab to the airport in the wee hours of 3am to catch my 5.40am flight to Tokyo! Anyway, I'm simply too excited to have a good sleep as this is my 1st solo backpack trip to a foreign land.
My 1st time flying with Delta airlines was surprisingly smooth & just some time after taking off, I saw a fantastic sunrise while having breakfast at 30,000 ft. in the air! It was simply breath-taking!
After close to 7 hours of flying, I landed at Narita past noon (1325hr Japan time). After collecting my bags, I proceed to purchase a Keisei Skyliner ticket direct to Asakusa. Taking this to Asakusa is faster than the Narita Express (51mins) & cheaper (1,240 Yen) too!
I went to join the long Q to exchange my Japan Rail Pass & thought that I could reserve my whole trip's trains as well. After a good half an hour Q, I then saw a notice inside that stated due to the crowd, one can only exchange for the Rail Pass but no other services! Ah! This really wasted my time! Hence, I would need to make a trip to Ueno JR later to do my reservations.
Upon arriving at Asakusa station, I went to search for my hotel ~ Bluewave Inn Asakusa. Based on the map from their website, I thought it should be relatively easy... but I was Wrong! I tried to check with the locals on the location & I asked as many as 5 people, I was directed to various directions. End up, I walked on for 1 hour lugging my backpack & camera bag! Just as I was getting so tired, I decided to pop into a Lawson to ask again. The young chap at the counter could only speak Japanese but he was extremely helpful! I was so blessed to meet him.
He checked the Asakusa area map & spoke to me in Japanese. I only know very basic phrases learnt thru' J-dramas & brushed up abit using my hp's Jap language app before leaving. I was amazed I understood what he was trying to say! haha! I caught the keyword 'hidari', which means 'left'. Hence tog with hand gestures, I knew that I had to turn left at the junction! LoL
Since I was already at Lawson, I decided to ask him help me to purchase the Doraemon museum ticket from Lawson's Loppi machine as well! Not sure why in Japan, visitors could not purchase such tickets at the attraction itself. There's also a strict admission time table & opening dates to adhere to! Not only that, the Loppi machine do not have English menu! Luckily, I printed out the instructions in Japanese & showed him what I wanted. It took him quite awhile to help me locate an available date/time as the initial search generated as 'unavailable'! When the Loppi required a Japanese name, I told him I do not have one & he was nice enuf to use his name to help me purchase it! I was so glad when I saw the ticket being generated cos it's my dream to visit Doraemon's homeland! Yeah! He really made my day by going the extra mile! (So rmbr, when you r lost, locate the nearest Lawson & check directions there.)
With his help, I finally discovered I had walked kilometres circumventing my hotel! I would never think that I could juz walk thru' the Sensoji Temple, cut thru' the back gate & there's my hotel! Goddness! Poor me! I was dead tired when I finally check-in. My room's view was great & I saw the Tokyo SkyTree! After a short break & refreshing myself, I took the subway to Ueno JR before it close at 7pm. The service was fantastic at this Rail Pass exchange office. I printed out a copy of all the Shinkansen timings I required using this useful website ~ Hyperdia. (Also have Android app). For each issued train ticket, the lady wrote in English for me the train's name. With such, I could easily locate my train & to board at the correct platform. I got a 7-days Rail Pass (28,300 Yen/S$385) which allow me to travel freely using the JR across japan for 7 consecutive days. This is really cost savings & highly recommended. Remember to purchase it in Singapore at JTB outlets prior to departure. ![]() |
| Sensoji Temple at Dusk |
![]() |
| Pick a lucky lot? |
![]() |
| Pick your choice of ramen & insert cash! |
![]() |
| Hanami picnic! |
After filling my tummy, I walked in the drizzle trying to locate Ueno Park in the dark. After some time, I finally found it! It's so nice to see the lanterns lit up the park, kinda romantic lo! I was lucky to time my arrival with the start of the sakura season too! The sakura this year had bloomed earlier than usual & due to the warmth in Tokyo, the flora had started blooming 2 days ago! I had dream for many years to visit Japan during the cherry blossom season. Just as I was enjoying my stroll, the lanterns' lights went off! That's really early at 8+pm! There were still many people in the park enjoying Hanami despite the drizzle.
![]() |
| A pity too foggy & rainy! Top of the SkyTree was shrouded :( |
As such, I decided to head back to Asakusa & went to the nearby Sumidagawa River to take some shots of Tokyo SkyTree. I was too tried to make a trip to the SkyTree & the weather was not good. After some shots, the drizzle turned into a downpour! I quickly went back thru' the subway's underpass & return to my hotel with my umbrella braving the strong wind & rain! I never imagine that my 1st day would be so adventurous!













No comments:
Post a Comment