Before set off for my practice session today, i turned to the internet to pick up some quick tips on snapping fireworks... I dun have a shutter release, hence I also not sure how it would turn out. My objective was simple, dun need many shots, juz one or two nice ones enuf!
Met up wif my buddy ~ denise @ Raffles Place MRT at abt 7pm. It was super cloudy & denise questioned if a thunderstom is approaching. I quipped wif optimism that there would not be any rain! We headed to circular rd's coffeeshop for dinner. It's been really a long time since both of us ate here, we used to mit during lunch when worked in this area. I had planned to set up our gears at the The Promontory@Marina Bay, which would be facing the stage where the Youth Olympic Games Opening Ceremony takes place.
It was 8pm by the time we strolled over & there were big screens broadcasting the event live. Juz as we were looking at the screen, 2 short bursts of fireworks dazzled the skies, it marked the offical opening at 2010hr. In preparation for more fireworks later, we decided to walk to as close to the waterfront as possible... As the best space was occupied, I could only try to set up at an in-between space. Denise was not used to her tripod & gave up her slightly better view to me... she would rather do it free-hand. But guess wat, met an act-pro uncle, who kept blocking my view! He is really kiasu, had a Canon 7D on his tripod & took out another older dslr, kept moving about. I tink the guy next to him find him irritating too! The guy asked denise & later me if we wana moved in but we politely turned down his good intention. It would be really uncomfortable to squeeze into the small area.
The YOG's fireworks were really unpredictable as it's interspersed thru'out the segments. Sometimes, it came as sudden outbursts, which we could only enjoy wif our eyes, haha! it's simply a split second, before I could press the shutter! The surrounding buildings had their spotlights beam out towards the stage too... At times, the fireworks 'spill' off the rooftops of the nearby buildings too ~ Nice! In-between the long wait, I tried to experiment wif the aperture & shutter speed picked up online, but it doesn't seems to work well. I find the long exposure took too long to process, hence tweaked to my own settings.
As the ceremony progressed, the crowd grew...but i tink overall it was an ideal spot as it gave a panaromic view of the fireworks & the sg's skyline + water reflections. Quite a number of times, I had no choice but to shoot free-hand as well... It was also tiring to stand for 2.5hrs! Denise was luckier as she got to sit at the bench! Juz as I was really tired & counting down towards the finale... a lady sitting next to denise went off! I quickly retracted my tripod & placed it on the bench! Finally an all-clear view ~ heng ah!
A 10m high fountain lit up in the middle of the waters & when the last torch bearer torched the cauldron, the skies were dazzled wif cool fireworks display! I quickly pressed my shutter continuously, keke! My patience was paid off as i managed to capture some nice shots here & it's also my 1st time shooting fireworks wif my dslr ^o^









No comments:
Post a Comment